Like a sponge

They say to watch what you say around a toddler as they are like sponges...they soak everything up and repeat it verbatim...

Knowing this - we are very careful of what we say around Ben as we don't want him picking up words that we wouldn't want to hear from him. In addition, we are uber-sensitive to what he is hearing from others as well...not just people but in his enviornment.

Ben's favorite show right now is the Charlie Brown Christmas Movie. In the movie Lucy calls Snoopy "stupid". In the past, I would have NEVER even noticed it - but now I'm thinking - ugh...I don't want him to hear that - god forbid he repeat it. In addition - we have been reading a childhood favorite lately - The Very Hungry Catepillar. Those with children know - this is an awesome book and loved by most kids. In the book at one point they refer to the catepillar as "fat". Not a big deal...however, again - I cringe thinking he'll see someone in the store that is overweight and scream - He is Fat!

We can control what we say in front of our child -
but how do you control their "environment"?


This is a struggle that every parent deals with....the start of a long journey for sure. What is funny is even though we are careful about saying "the wrong" things - its all things that they listen too and repeat. Here is a top 10 list of Ben's new phrases...its hysterical.

10. Daddy, How was YOUR dinner?
9. Mmm...delicious!
8. That outifit is cute!
7. Go Rutgers!
6. Mommy, Jazz or Classical?
5. I want that SOOO bad!
4. I'm serious!
3. I'm talking to you!
2. Mommy, you have to earn that.
1. I'm bringing Sexy Back (ok - hello...it was a song on the radio! God help us!)

1 comments:

  1. ben singing "I'm bringing sexy back" might be the funniest/cutest thing ever. :)